Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Hunger Games 2.5 stars

This movie is from the popular teen series of books.  The usually means there is a good story that needs to be well told and that is the case here.  I thought the premise was interesting with an excellent cast of young stars.   The heroine is an outstanding actress Jennifer Lawrence.  She received her first of many academy award nominations in the movie Winter Bone (3 stars but depressing).  If you are a fan of the books I don't think you will be disappointed.  From what I heard the movie is very true to the first book in the series.  Not being a fan of the series I found the movie to be pretty slow moving.   I also found it irritating that the characters, although under constant threat of sudden death, never had a sense of urgency or never thought twice about marching through the forest without wondering if someone was about to end their life.   The other thing that detracted from the movie was the close up filming during the action scenes so that it was hard to figure out what was going on.  I guess it was to hid the violence but I though it detracted from the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment